Friday, August 06, 2004

 

BUGEL

"Have you heard of those Living Wills? Bugel asked me.

"Of course," I said. "They're pretty common now, aren't they?"

"They're a bunch of shit," Bugel said. "I'm not signing one. I want to live as long as possible. Coma, oxygen, ventilator, whatever. It's better than being dead. You know if you go in the hospital they can put that DNR on your charts? Not for me. I'm having a big R on mine, fuck the DN."

"I'n not clear why you're telling me this." I said. "Shouldn't this be something you go over with your family?"

"I've made a list," Bugel said. "I'm telling everybody on the list. That way there's no confusion. If anybody ever says, for example, that's it's better that I'm dead, that I wouldn't have wanted to be a burden, that's a lie. I've got no problem being a burden. In some ways, I'm almost looking forward to becoming a burden. I hope I do live long enough to be a burden to someone."

"I guess you don't check off that box on your license about organ donation," I said.

"Are you out of your mind?" Bugel laughed. "That's worse than signing your own death warrant. You're talking vivisection."

"So, how is your health?" I asked

"Oh, I'm perfectly fine," Bugel said. "I'm just trying to take care of things responsibly, like they tell you to. Before it's too late."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I ran into Bugel, over at MonsterShoppingWorld," I told LZ.

"I haven't seen him in years," she said. "How is he doing?"

"He's fine," I said. "Physically. He was talking about Living Wills and the future."

"That doesn't sound like Bugel," LZ said. "He was never the responsible type."

"I guess people can change," I said.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?