Wednesday, July 21, 2004

 

STEVE J & TOM W

The doorbell rang early one Saturday morning.

"Steve J," I said. "I haven't seen you in years. What brings you here?"

"Actually," said Steve, "I didn't know you lived here. I'm selling vacuums door to door and this is my new territory."

"Really," I said. "I didn't know people still did that."

"Did what?" Steve asked.

"Sold stuff door to door," I said.

"They do," said Steve.

"Well, I'm not in the market for a vacuum," I said. "But you're welcome to come in for a cup of coffee."

"Thanks," said Steve. "I will."

"So, what's new?" I asked Steve.

"Did you hear about Tom W?" Steve asked. "He killed himself, just last week. Blew his brains out with a shotgun."

"You don't say," I said. "Why would he do something like that?"

"Apparently, he had always wanted to be a rock star, and when he realized he would never be one, he couldn't take it."

"I didn't even know Tom was in a band," I said.

"He wasn't," said Steve. "He was a shipping clerk in a ceramics factory."

"Around here?" I asked. "I thought all of the factories had closed up."

"No," said Steve. "There's a few that are hanging on, down in the Polish section."

"We still have a Polish section?" I asked. "I had no idea. I guess I should get out more."

"The Polish people are very meticulous." Steve said. "They clean like crazy. It's called House Proud. I did quite well over there last summer."

"So you really sell vacuums." I said. "At first I thought it must be some sort of scam, or a pyramid scheme."

"I'm just doing this till my band makes it," Steve said. "We're getting real popular. It's only a matter of time until we get signed."

"Sound good," I said. "More coffee?"

"No," said Steve. "I better get going. My district manager will be wondering what happened to me."

"Thanks for stopping by," I said. "And good luck to you, on both of your careers."

"Thanks for the coffee," Steve said.

"Anytime," I said.













Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?